Alex Flournoy, Colorado Professor, dies after battling with brain cancer: obituary

Publish date: 2024-05-08

The passing of Alex Tarleton Flournoy, a dedicated Teaching Professor at the Colorado School of Mines, has left a profound void in the hearts of all who had the privilege of knowing him. At the age of 49, Alex bravely fought brain cancer for five years, leaving behind a legacy of love, laughter, and unwavering dedication to his students, friends, and family.

Before Alex discovered his true calling in teaching, he dedicated seven years to research in the realm of string theory, honing his expertise in the field. At the Colorado School of Mines, where he shared his knowledge with some of the brightest minds in the world, Alex found joy in imparting the intricacies of physics to students at all levels, from foundational to advanced undergraduate and graduate courses.

Known for his infectious passion and unwavering commitment to his students, Alex fostered a nurturing environment that encouraged intellectual growth and exploration. His dedication extended beyond the classroom, as he seized every opportunity to delve into particle theory and string theory, leaving an indelible mark on the field of study.

Scarlett Chere Flournoy posted on Facebook,

“Hello, Facebook world. Today has been the second hardest day of my life. My brother, Dr Alex Tarleton Flournoy, took his final breath early this morning.
For those of you who knew he was sick, thank you so much for your love and support. And thank you to everyone who has, and continues to lift up prayers for my family. Losing Alex is beyond devastating, not only because he’s so young, but because he is the first loss that our immediate family has had to endure.
Alex was an amazing man. He was devoted to so many people, and mostly to his family. Everyone who knew him loved him and i just wanted to tell the world, since i can no longer tell him, that i love him. I will always love him, i will always miss him and i will always have a hole in my heart that was created by his death.
Peace, big brother. May you sleep sweet.”

A cherished son, brother, and friend, Alex’s love for his job transcended mere professional obligation, manifesting as a true passion that radiated in every aspect of his life. His profound affection for his friends mirrored the bond of family, while his unwavering devotion to his own family remained the cornerstone of his being.

The impact of Alex Flournoy’s life and teachings will continue to resonate within the academic community and beyond. As the details of his obituary and funeral plans are yet to be released by the family, his memory will endure as a testament to the power of love, laughter, and the enduring impact of a life dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge and the nurturing of young minds.

ncG1vNJzZmiin5fAo7vTrGWcp51krq2x12adpaelp7uwxYycpqWnopaxsHnPq6afnaOovLN5w6KcrGWRm8GmvoybmK2snJ67qHnWoquhZZKnrqq6jJyYp5uVp3qwrsitrJqqqWQ%3D