Jaswant Singh Gill Wikipedia Raniganj, Death, Wife, Real Story, Biography, Rescue, Capsule

Publish date: 2024-05-08

Jaswant Singh Gill Wikipedia Raniganj, Death, Wife, Real Story, Biography, Rescue, Capsule -: Jaswant Singh Gill, born on 22 November 1939 in Sathiala, Amritsar, Punjab, India, was a remarkable figure known for his heroic actions during a coal mine tragedy in Raniganj, West Bengal, in 1989. His innovative approach to rescuing trapped miners earned him the nickname “The Capsule Gill.”

Jaswant Singh Gill Bio

NameJaswant Singh Gill
Born22 November 1939
BirthplaceSathiala, Amritsar, Punjab, India
Died26 November 2019
Death placeAmritsar, Punjab, India
Cause of deathCardiac arrest
NationalityIndian
OccupationEngineer-in-chief of Coal India Limited
Known forSaving 65 coal miners during a coal mine tragedy in Raniganj, West Bengal, in 1989
NicknameThe Capsule Gill
SpouseNirdosh Kaur
ChildrenTwo sons and two daughters
ParentsDaswandha Singh Gill and Sardarni Preetam Kaur Gill
SiblingsTwo brothers and two sisters

Jaswant Singh Gill Early Life & Education

Jaswant Singh Gill hailed from a Sikh family, with his father, Daswandha Singh Gill, serving as a senior clerk. He excelled in academics and extracurricular activities during his schooling at Khalsa College Public School and Khalsa College in Amritsar. His passion for mining led him to pursue a B.Sc. degree from Khalsa College and later a Bachelor of Engineering in Mining Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines) in 1965.

Jaswant Singh Gill Career and Achievements

After working for Chand Thapar & Bros (Coal Sales) Ltd., Gill joined Coal India Limited in 1972. Rising through the ranks, he became the engineer-in-chief, retiring in 1998. His pivotal moment came in 1989 during the Mahabir colliery disaster, where 64 miners were trapped. Gill’s ingenious solution was a steel capsule, designed within three hours, which successfully rescued all miners.

Jaswant Singh Gill Coal Mine Rescue Operation

Facing a flooded mine with rising water levels, Gill devised a special rescue capsule. Testing it personally, he descended into the mine, assuring the trapped miners. Over three days, he rescued all 64 miners, spending more than 48 hours inside the capsule. This operation marked the world’s first successful coal mine rescue.

Jaswant Singh Gill Awards and Honors

Gill received several accolades, including the Sarvottam Jeevan Raksha Padak in 1991 and recognition in the Limca Book of Records and World Book of Records. His lifetime of achievements also earned him various awards, such as the Swami Vivekanand Award of Excellence in 2013.

Mission Raniganj 2023

The movie, Mission Raniganj 2023, depicts Gill’s heroism during the 1989 rescue. Played by Akshay Kumar, the film highlights Gill’s innovative capsule and his dedication. Released on 6 October 2023, the movie received praise for its realistic portrayal and patriotic message.

Jaswant Singh Gill Marriage, Family & Philanthropy

Jaswant Singh Gill married Nirdosh Kaur in 1969, and they had two sons and two daughters. Beyond his family, Gill was a philanthropist, establishing a hospital for the needy in Amritsar post-retirement. His love for learning led him to pursue an LLB degree at the age of 80.

Jaswant Singh Gill Legacy and Demise

Jaswant Singh Gill passed away on 26 November 2019, succumbing to a cardiac arrest at the age of 80. His funeral, held with full state honors, was attended by thousands. Gill’s legacy lives on as a legend and an inspiration for generations.

Jaswant Singh Gill Net Worth and Simple Living

While Gill’s net worth remains undisclosed, he earned a decent income from his career and various awards. Known for his humility, he donated a significant portion to charity, living a simple life in Amritsar with his family.

Why “The Capsule Gill”?

Jaswant Singh Gill earned the moniker “The Capsule Gill” for inventing a 7-foot-high steel capsule used in the Raniganj rescue. The capsule, with an oxygen cylinder, telephone, safety valve, window, and handle, successfully brought up one miner at a time. Gill’s courage and ingenuity during this operation solidified his reputation as a hero.

Jaswant Singh Gill Social Media Accounts

Conclusion

In summary, Jaswant Singh Gill’s life is a testament to bravery, innovation, and service to humanity. His legacy continues to inspire, and his contributions to mining safety and rescue operations remain unparalleled.

FAQ

Did Jaswant Gill survive?

Yes, Jaswant Singh Gill survived. He became widely known for successfully rescuing 65 coal miners during a coal mine tragedy in Raniganj, West Bengal, in 1989. The innovative use of a steel capsule earned him the nickname “The Capsule Gill.”

What is the history of Jaswant Singh Gill?

Jaswant Singh Gill, born on 22 November 1939 in Sathiala, Amritsar, Punjab, India, was an engineer-in-chief at Coal India Limited. His notable achievement was the world’s first successful coal mine rescue operation in 1989, where he saved miners trapped in a flooded mine in Raniganj.

At what age did Jaswant Singh Gill die?

Jaswant Singh Gill passed away on 26 November 2019 at the age of 80. He succumbed to a cardiac arrest at his home in Amritsar, Punjab, India.

Who is the wife of Jaswant Gill?

Jaswant Singh Gill’s wife was Nirdosh Kaur. The couple got married on 19 October 1969, and they had two sons and two daughters.

Also Read :

ncG1vNJzZmignpe0tnrNnqtoopGoxKK602aqoqaXnXqotculZg%3D%3D